If you’re on holiday and visiting Puerto Marina, you can’t miss the opportunity to visit Sea Life, the aquarium in Benalmadena. Dive safely into the depths of the ocean and discover the treasures hidden beneath its waters. You’ll also find aquatic related animals from different parts of the world and a variety of activities for children.
Activities for everyone in Sea Life
The Benalmadena Sea Life Aquarium is an ideal family destination, so if you’ve decided to travel with children, you may want to include it on your list of things to do in Benalmadena.
Among the most popular places in the aquarium is an underwater tunnel; from this tunnel, you can see sharks and large turtles among other animals.
Every year there are activities and games for children in Sea Life. There are also special events during Halloween in which children in costume will have free admission.
The Benalmadena Aquarium is a perfect place for children to discover some amazing marine species:
- Sea Horses
- Sea turtles
- Exotic fish
The aquarium is divided into different zones, each of them oriented to a particular activity. Let’s get to know them.
You can watch different species of stingrays up close and even feed them. Rays are fish related to sharks, although as you can see they look quite different.
As a curious fact, some of the largest known stingrays measure 9 meters between the tips of their flippers and weigh 1300 kilograms.
The stingrays feed on shellfish and inhabit all seas, near the coasts. The vast majority are harmless except for a species that lives in warm, shallow waters.
If you want to see how they feed you can visit them at 12.30 pm any day of the week.
Jellyfish are animals with a gelatinous body and long tentacles. Sometimes they can be found on our coasts and must be avoided. You can learn more about jellyfish in our other article, where we also tell you what to do in case you get stung.
The Jurassic period ended 145 million years ago and is characterized by the great dinosaurs that walked on the planet. In this area of the aquarium, you will find some close relatives; big species like the black tip reef shark or the big green turtle.
Every day at 12.30 am sharks and rays are fed. Meanwhile you will be told many curiosities about these animals.
These cute mammals are found all over the world; although they belong to the family of rodents, they have aquatic customs.
Otters can stay underwater for up to 6 minutes and travel at speeds that can exceed 11 km/h.
If you want to see how they feed, they do it every day at 11.00, 13.00 and 15.00.
In this area of the aquarium, you will be able to watch baby sharks and stingrays.
The Mediterranean Sea has an average depth of about 1380 meters.
This sea did not always have water; it dried up and only about 5 million years ago it recovered, becoming what is today the place with the highest biodiversity in the world.
It is a sea of mild temperature, and in this aquarium, you will be able to know some of the species that inhabit it.
Amazon is a great tropical jungle with varied fauna and flora. In the Benalmadena aquarium, you can see some animals and curiosities of the animals that develop in this ecosystem such as piranhas and poison dart frogs.
This area of the aquarium is the perfect place to interact with the marine environment. You can touch a starfish, crabs and other creatures.
Kingdom of the Sea Horse
Sea Horses are really interesting fish. To communicate they make a kind of snap, they can give birth to hundreds of babies. The pups at birth measure less than 1 centimetre and this aquarium have been able to reproduce up to 3 different species of seahorse.
They eat 3 times a day and if you are there at 3.30 pm. you will be able to know many other curiosities of this charming animal.
The reefs hide great treasures, children will be able to identify the popular protagonists of the film “Finding Nemo”.
To complete the visit, you can play with the children in this mini golf course that is located on the Sea Life facilities.
Timetables and prices
If you are planning to visit the Benalmadena aquarium, it is much cheaper to buy tickets online:
- Over 10 years old: 16€ at the box office, 12.50€ online
- Children from 3 to 9 years old: 13.50€ at the box office, 12.50€ online
- Senior citizens over 65: 13.50€ at the box office, 12.50€ online
- Children under 3 years old with free entrance.
- Reduced rate to 9.95€ online if you go between 5.30pm and 7.30pm.
- Sea Life + Mini golf for 16€.
- An annual pass for 32€ with mini golf and a free child.
Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- 10.00 to 7.30 pm each day of the week.
- On December 25th the aquarium is closed.
How to get there
To get there you have to go to Puerto Marina in Benalmadena:
- From Fuengirola or Marbella take the N-340 road towards Torremolinos. You will find an access roundabout to Puerto Marina and the Sea Life building right at the entrance.
- From Malaga, you must take the direction of Fuengirola and take the underground access to Puerto Marina.
- If you go by bus you must take the Benalmadena Costa line.
- If you go by train the nearest station is El Pinillo, the port is about 20 minutes’ walk.
Latest posts by Raúl G.T (see all)
- July in Malaga: Weekend activities, fairs and other events - June 28, 2019
- Malaga, one of the best cities to live and visit in Spain - June 26, 2019
- Midsummer’s Eve: St. John’s bonfires night in Malaga - June 20, 2019