Malagaweb.com

Andalucia a visit to the south of Spain

Quick answers for your questions about Andalucia, Sierra Nevada and the southern of Spain.
Raul
Administrator
Administrator

Andalucia a visit to the south of Spain

Post by Raul » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:32 pm

Hi,
Recently I received a pm asking me about visits recommendations in Andalucia. I think this may be of interest to our website visitors, so I asked to Alex (the person who sent me the pm) to publish our messages and she agreed: ;)

Hello, Raul!
My name is Alex, I am going to visit South of Spain in Summer.
I will have only 5 days to visit the most interesting places. During my traveling I can use trains, buses or planes to transfer from one city to another.
I have already read many things about Andalucia, but I still can't chose that some "the most interesting cities".
Could you please help me to make my short-5days-travel ?

Thanks in advance!
--------------------
Hi Alex,
Please use the forum the next time so your question may help others :roll:

About your trip in Andalucia:
-Malaga is the most popular destination in Andalucia
-Seville is worth the visit, you can take the train from Malaga where the views are amazing, however temperature in Seville in summer is very high, but you could check it out while getting from Malaga to el Puerto de Santa Maria (for the best andalusian seafood in Cadiz), as you have to take the train to Seville first. (trip time from Malaga to Puerto Santa Maria is 5 hours by train with stop in Seville; I had a girlfriend there a few years ago and did this trip once a week)
-Between Malaga and Seville - El Pantano del Chorro in Ardales (Malaga)
-Nerja
-Mijas Pueblo with amazing views from the Costa del Sol

Now, if you want to explore the most hidden areas of Andalucia:
- Rio Tinto mines in Nerva, Huelva (Here is where NASA studied the life in extreme environments, it is a typical interior village and the only time I went there was by bus from Seville)

There are many places to visit in Malaga, but those in my opinion worth the visit
-------------------------------
Raul, and what do you think about a trip between those cities (Malaga, Cadiz, Sevilla, Cordoba, Granada, Murcia)?
I would like to make a trip from Malaga (is where my plane arrives) and Murcia (plane back to Kyiv).
I think that would be Malaga, Cadiz, Sevilla... but I can't decide and find info...maybe there are some very interesting places between big cities (like your example with NASA - - very cool ).
And I think it would be cheaper to travel by bus. Is it possible and normal in Spain? Or I will be stupid to do that?

Sorry for such amount of questions, but you are so great to talk to

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
--------------------------------------

About using bus, you can use them however I don’t like bus transport in summer...long waiting times and too hot!, not a cool mix , remember that this is the south of Spain, if you have never been here temperatures in August can go up 45º. (BTW I dont recommend coming in August, that month is for being in water the whole day and night hehe)

In Cordoba you must check the "Mezquita" and in Granada "La Alhambra", I went last summer to Granada but I was unable to visit the Alhambra because I was supposed to buy the tickets online (people I know talk very good about it), just for letting you know .

For traveling to Cadiz, I recommend taking the train to Seville, and sitting on the left for the best views, take your camera and enjoy the beautiful landscapes. Once in Seville, you can take the train to Cadiz (you can buy the ticket to Cadiz at Malaga train station directly so you dont have to buy another ticket in Seville); El Puerto de Santa Maria is the stop after Jerez train station ( I recommend to ask as there is no signal, I always was nervous when getting there by train)

In el Puerto de Santa Maria, once you have tasted the seafood, you can take the "Vapor" which is a cheap boat tour that takes you to Cadiz city (If you have been in Cuba the look is similar, many films about Cuba have been filmed there)

Andalucia Travel tips:

-In Malaga there are two main monuments (Gibralfaro castle and the Cathedral)
-There is no train link between Malaga and Cadiz, just road.
-There is no train link from Malaga to Granada, but to Cordoba and then Granada.
-From Malaga bus station, there are buses to almost everywhere.
-Buses take ages and use to be full of people in high season. Not very comfortable.
-Next to Granada on our way to Motril on the coast there is a mountain road I loved, however you may need a car.
-Between Seville and Malaga, you can visit "El Chorro"

I love historic places, like "Rio Tinto Mines, Mountain roads, Historical monuments", I recommend checking the history of those places if you also like to sightseeing

You are welcome!!!!!!!! :D
----------------------------------

Do you have more tips for her or for other people? experiences?...why not sharing them? :roll:

gates8888
New Visitor
New Visitor

Re: Andalucia a visit to the south of Spain

Post by gates8888 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:12 am

Is it true that travelling and commuting in Andalucia, or Spain for that matter is rather expensive ?

Raul
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Raul » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:48 am

Not specially, however there are many ways on saving costs...it is much cheaper hiring a car in example than using always a taxi or other transportation means.

mdavid
New Visitor
New Visitor

Post by mdavid » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:45 am

Thank You for your reply Raul. I suppose then rental cars are just high priced in peak tourist seasons then .