Malagaweb.com

Sierra Nevada: off the main stream

Sierra Nevada general forum. We will try to provide help for your winter holidays planning.
Birthe
Returning Visitor
Returning Visitor

Sierra Nevada: off the main stream

Post by Birthe » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:37 am

Hello, my name is Birthe, I am writing you from Munich, Germany. I will be soon travelling for several months to Malaga and Granada. Maybe you have some tips for Sierra Nevada?
I am especially interested in a more quiet and alternative holiday, doing hiking routes and discovering new places, I am not so much interested in main stream tourism. How is Prado Llano in Sierra Nevada, what are the general offers there; are there as well rural houses for example? Thank you very much for any answer!

Raul
Administrator
Administrator

Re: off the main stream

Post by Raul » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:45 pm

Hi and welcome Birthe!

If you are planning to come to Sierra Nevada during wintertime, haven´t you been thinking about skiing? A good part of the Sierra is covered in snow and not really advisable for hiking if you are not into ski trekking. Nevertheless, in the foothills you can go for nice excursions as well in winter. Places I know personally and which I can recommend are the Cahorros de Monachil, Dilar, Cumbres Verdes and Güejar Sierra. All these villages are situated relatively close to the capital and can be reached by bus, although the connections are sometimes very bad, especially on Sundays and Bank holidays.

Another part of the Sierra Nevada, more towards the Mediterranean Sea, is the Alpujarra. Here is situated the Barranco de Poqueíra and the white villages of Pampaneira, Bubión and Capileira. This is a very magic area, with a lot of water; I can especially recommend it in spring!

Other beautiful natural reserves in the province of Málaga are the Sierras of Almijara, Tejeda and Alhama in the east; and more to the west, the Sierra de las Nieves and Sierra Bermeja.

Below you can check a link to a website with routes in German and English, maybe be you can find something interesting there! Enjoy and thank you for posting in our forum! :D

http://www.topwalks.net/es/sierra_nevada.htm

Birthe
Returning Visitor
Returning Visitor

Re: Sierra Nevada: off the main stream

Post by Birthe » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:45 pm

Hola Malaga!
Thank you very much for you answer, it was very helpful! Soon I´ll come back with more questions! ;)
Birthe

hertta
New Visitor
New Visitor

Post by hertta » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:07 pm

Thanks Raul for the fantastic link to the Topwalks. I have been looking for the same kind of information as Birthe, and this is it exactly.
I studied the Topwalks recommendations, so we plan to have a trekking holiday in Sierra Nevada early June, when even the Mulhacen is snow free.
It seems to me Alpujarra region is the most atractive for hiking purposes, but anyway we plan to do the Mulhcacen walk http://www.topwalks.net/en/mulhacen/mulhacen.htm from the skiing center.
Thanks again,
HeH

Raul
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Raul » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:07 am

Im so glad this information helped you both :D , please don´t forget to share your experiences with us. I always like to know of new places to discover in Sierra Nevada or to know your opinion of the places I already have visited ;)