Malagaweb.com

Train from Malaga Airport to El Pinillo

Find quick answers in our forum about private and public transport in Malaga and Costa del Sol.
Smac
New Visitor
New Visitor

Train from Malaga Airport to El Pinillo

Post by Smac » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:17 pm

It appears quite straightforward to use the train from the airport. If I do that on a Sunday afternoon, would I find a taxi at El Pinillo station? If not, would I be certain to find one at Torremolinos?
In your Spanish language forum you say that public transport at the airport is unreliable so you recommend car hire instead. Is the train service reliable?

Raul
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Train from Malaga Airport to Train from Malaga Airport to El Pinillo

Post by Raul » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:03 pm

Hello Smac and welcome to our forum!
Where do you need to go?, maybe I can be of more help if knowing your destination.

- Pinillo train station have taxis around, but not next to it, just if going on your way walking to Arroyo de la Miel you may be able to find one.

-If you dont need to rent a car in Malaga, you could get a taxi at the airport, however Malaga car hire is a cheap option.

-Train service is reliable, and the trains are always on time. If your destination is next to the train station is a nice option.

Smac
New Visitor
New Visitor

Re: Train from Malaga Airport to Sol Timor

Post by Smac » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:15 pm

Thank you for these replies. I am going to Sol Timor, at the end of Salvador Allende. Since I think it is all downhill from Pinillo station, I think walking will be okay, even with luggage.
I would want a taxi only if it is raining, but in that case I could get off the train at Torremolinos if that is a more certain way to get a taxi! :)

Raul
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Raul » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:16 pm

You are welcome, Im glad to be of help.
Right now the weather is excellent, so I wish you good luck when coming ;)

Have you come before to Sol Timor?. Its next to where I live and going from El pinillo would take around 20 minutes or maybe a little more.

You can check here the route on foot I have made for you.

Smac
New Visitor
New Visitor

Post by Smac » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:55 am

Thank you for the reply. It did not appear until after I had left home -- but since the map is rather misleading that may be just as well. :roll: I had obtained the same map from Google but did not believe it since I had previously visited Sol Timor. (I managed to use Google's Satellite view to work out a good route.)

I have prepared an edited version of Google's map with the best walking route shown in purple and a description in words in another file.

I would recommend the railway rather than a taxi or booked transfer to anyone (a) reasonably fit and (b) arriving outside peak local travelling times. :)

From the Airport to the Railway Station

From Arrivals, take the escalator up to the Departures level and exit at the end furthest from the check-in area. There are a few direction signs for the railway but not enough. There is an elevated walkway across airport roads which seems to terminate at a parking garage. In fact, you enter the garage and pass through it, bearing slightly to the left to exit on another open-air walkway that takes you to the station. Buy your tickets from a machine at the entrance. You can select the language you want it to use and it takes notes or coins and gives change.

Trains in both directions stop at the same platform but announcements are clear and are made in Spanish and English. For Torremolinos you want the trains to Fuengirola. The only thing that might give trouble to English speakers is that place names are always pronounced the correct, local way -- which may be a little different from what you expect! However, the name of each stop is both announced in advance and shown in writing above the train doors.

From El Pinillo Station to Sol Timor

Leave the station by taking the tunnel under the tracks (there are lifts at each end of it ) to exit down a short stairway on the side nearest the sea. After crossing Avenida de Benalmádena with a petrol station on your left, take the path through a small park to its corner by a roundabout on the dual-carriageway bypass. There is a pedestrian pavement on the side marked in purple on the map, though in March 2009 it had not had its top surface applied and was slightly rough.

At the bottom of the hill, past another roundabout, there is a pedestrian crossing (shown dotted on the map) with a push-button to change the traffic lights. Wait patiently until the lights change (and even until the traffic actually stops) because some cars come round the blind corner at frightening speed! (Just to the right, before you cross, there is a fair-sized Lidl supermarket.)

The road opposite has no name on the Google map but is the Calle Decano José Gomez Rando. It takes you all the way to the entrance to Sol Timor, whose sign you can see from near the top of the road.

The route is all downhill, so even with a wheeled suitcase it is a fairly easy 20-minute walk. Since train tickets cost 1.25 and a taxi from the airport could be 20 euros or more, this is an option I would recommend to anyone reasonably fit. (I am nearly 70.) A taxi up the hill for the return journey cost 7 euros for two people with a case each. This is double a tariff I found on the web, but two taxi-drivers agreed that it was normal...
Attachments
Route A.jpg
El Pinillo to Sol Timor - Map
Route A.jpg (62.42 KiB) Viewed 6453 times
Last edited by Raul on Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jimbo
New Visitor
New Visitor

Re: Train from Malaga Airport to Torremolinos

Post by jimbo » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:45 pm

we have booked a flat in Duquesa apartments at Benalmadena/Toremolimas near Lidls but dont have the street. Can anyone highlight on some of the previous maps made for Sol Timor. We plan to walk from El Pinillo station ,Thanks Jimbo

Raul
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Raul » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:14 pm

Hello Jimbo and welcome to Malaga!,
I think La Duquesa is in Manilva, am I right?...If so, I think it is not a good idea going by walk from el Pinillo train station :roll: . Let me know if Im wrong or you misspelled the name; I have tried to find La Duquesa apartments in Benalmadena or Torremolinos with no success.

jimbo
New Visitor
New Visitor

Post by jimbo » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:12 pm

No the flats are A former hotel between El pinillo and Montemar beach / Duquesa espana apts . Near a Lidls seemingly The previous post gave a route to walk to Sol Timor which passes by LIDLS

dorran
New Visitor
New Visitor

Post by dorran » Wed May 26, 2010 7:33 pm

Usually the car hire option is the the cheap option but that's true only on longer distances. Thanks for sharing the information on transportation options in Malaga, most tourists are not aware of these options before their reach the airport.

Benet7
New Visitor
New Visitor

Post by Benet7 » Thu May 26, 2011 9:11 am

yes, thanks, but i used to think than hiring a car is much more expensive than using a train

Visit Malaga Forum

Car hire Malaga Malaga airport transfers Malaga hotels