English Deutsch Español

Where to stay in Malaga

Come and join our growing community about Costa del Sol and Malaga, find quick answers to your questions.
merrycari
New Visitor
New Visitor

Where to stay in Malaga

Post by merrycari » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:53 am

On holiday with my best girlfriend and wanted to go to Spain--anywhere! We are drawn to Malaga (going the beginning of May) for mild weather, nice people and proximity to a lot of other draws. We aren't super-touristy, we like to eat, drink and walk with the locals, and want to avoid major tourist situations. That being said, we want a big town for our base for at least a week (we're from NYC) so is this a good choice? If so, where should we stay? Will we need to rent a car or is Malaga pretty walking/public transportation friendly? We will probably take some day/2day trips (Granada, Seville)...Big culinary and wine buffs, party is fun once or twice but don't need clubs til 5am every night. Should we look elsewhere? Nerja? Benalmedena?...

Raul
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Where to stay in Malaga

Post by Raul » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:18 am

Hi Merry and welcome!,

Im sure Malaga is a nice option and you will like it. The most touristic places are the munincipalities in the coast, like Torremolinos, Marbella and so on, however I love beach and coast cities so those are the ones I would recommend to stay :roll: . Public transport in Malaga is nice, but if you want to visit Puerto Banus, Mijas Pueblo, Nerja, Ronda... (I highly recommend to visit those places) you may want to hire a car as those places are only available by bus, and taking in consideration those are very popular touristic destinations...

For visiting Sevilla you can use the train (about 3 hours by train from Malaga), and Granada is only available by bus, or by train transfer in Cordoba (you can visit the Mezquita and the historical center in Cordoba), so again hiring a car is recommended, and if you go to Granada dont forget to visit the Alhambra.

The best places for night party in Malaga are Puerto Banus and Puerto Marina (Benalmadena); the city center is less touristic at night if you want to mixt with the locals.

Let me know if have more questions, and of course we want to know about your experiences :)

merrycari
New Visitor
New Visitor

Post by merrycari » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:02 pm

Thank you for your reply--this is very helpful! Staying in a beach town sounds perfect for us, ideally a place we can use as our home base and can walk to great meals, shops (what is the shopping like?), clean beaches and nightlife (although again, the big party scene isn't our top priority so we don't have to be within walking distance of a bunch of clubs). That being said, in terms of the 'feel' of each of the beach town, which would you recommend? I've read a lot about Nerja, Benalmedena, Marbella and Ronda but wasn't sure how 'town-y' they felt or if they were more touristy during early May. Our idea day would be waking up, strolling into town (we love walking but don't want to be 20 minutes from civilization) having a meal, some beach time, lunch, shopping and/or sightseeing and a little more energetic nights. We'd love to be a 'regular' at a great cafe or tapas joint! On another note, would you also know of any websites to search for apartments for rent?

Raul
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Raul » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:51 pm

You are welcome :!: , im glad to be of help.

I dont like either going for party every night hehe, sometimes is nice but there are many other things to do, I can understand it.

Well, I nice website where you can phone and they can tell you about which place is the best for you and according to what you are looking for is: http://www.malagaholidays.com . Someone there will talk to you in english and depending exactly in what you are looking for, she can recommend you one place or another. ( I dont use to rent appartments here :roll: so they would know better than me).

Nerja is very known because its beaches and bays, but there are many "blue flag" rated beaches in Malaga, which means clean sand and water. I live between Torremolinos and Benalmadena, and beaches are also nice but I must admit there is much tourism here, and in July or August even more tourists than local people.(Someone here is telling me that May is a very nice month to come to Malaga)

I know if I were you that I would like Puerto Banus or Marbella (many shops and commercial areas, beaches and its own historical center), but depends on each person; Nerja is in the opposite way to the East, closer to Granada. Ronda and those white villages are far and are like you said very town like, after reading your post I think you may like to visit but not to rent an apartment there.

In resume, Torremolinos, Marbella, Puerto Banus, Fuengirola, Benalmadena...are all nice options, not far from each other (if using a car), neither from city center :) .

melissa
New Visitor
New Visitor

Post by melissa » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:51 pm

Hello!

This information is very helpful- I am also thinking of taking another vacation to the Malaga. It's been quite a while since I've been there. I'm not super touristy either and don't like to vist the 'typical' areas, but I do want to go somewhere by the beach and enjoy nice restaurants and shopping. I'm not too keen either on a wild nightlife. I like the idea of renting out an apartment, since I'm not a fan of big fancy chain hotels! I have checked out the website you suggested for renting an apartment, but I have also investigated other options. We are also considering a holiday house, depending on our budget. Right now my family and I are thinking that Marbella is a good choice for us. I found this site that I liked:

casamundo.co.uk/spain/costa_del_sol/marbella.htm

The apartments look super nice and a lot of them have access to a swimming pool, which is always a plus :) They also seem quite big, which is necessary in my case since I will probably be travelling in a larger group. I also liked these sites:

nordicarentals.com
rentinspain.co.uk

I like the idea of their 'luxury apartments'. Do you know these sites, so that you can recommend me one of them? Or do you have any particular suggestions for renting a house in Marbella? Any help is appreciated!

Raul
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Raul » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:37 pm

Hello,
I have never rented a house in Marbella myself, I live in Torremolinos which is next to Marbella. But I can recommend Malagaholidays.com because I know their service. You can phone there directly and she can recommend you apartments depending on your budget and what you are looking for. It is not like using an automated web service, but talking to an human person, there is also an free online chat you can use too.

Hope to be of help, you will enjoy Marbella ;)

photorecovery
New Visitor
New Visitor

Post by photorecovery » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:36 am

Hello,
I read your post. I want to express some words. Around the Costa del Sol you will find it all. The Malaga places the hectic and tourist cities of Torremolinos and Fuengirola with hundreds of apartment and hotel buildings. Or you want to spend some time away from the typical tourist places in villages like Mijas. The excellent Malaga weather allows you to perform nearly every kind of activity.
Thanks

Raul
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Raul » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:59 am

Hi and welcome!
Im asking here about your requeriments...and we are not sure!. Drag Queens shows in Malaga as far as we now, are in Fuengirola and Torremolinos. Both places are close to Malaga city center by car...but if you are looking for shows and fun and with that wide age range, I recommend asking the website below, as they would know much better than me the best places to stay ;)

I recommend using the contact form or phone number at http://www.malagaholidays.com/

Here we have decided Fuengirola (Los Boliches) as a nice destination for your holidays because there are many pubs for tourists and is next to the coast.

Raul
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Raul » Tue May 03, 2011 9:15 am

Hi Gillian,
That hotel is in Malaga mountains...it would depends on what the visitor is looking for; Nature and typical food (where we can find accommodation in Mijas Pueblo, Malaga Mountains, Frigiliana...) or proximity to the popular locations (hotels in Marbella, Torremolinos, Benalmadena, Puerto Banus...)

Malagacar.com

Malaga airport transfers