Lovers of organic fruit and vegetables can enjoy this Saturday, January 28, the first organic market in the capital of the Costa del Sol, at Huelin Park. From 10 am to 2 pm we have the opportunity to purchase green products which are mostly from the Guadalhorce valley, Malaga´s green orchard.
At a total of 16 stands there will be offered fruits, vegetables, bread of different seeds, pastries, cheeses, oils and jams sold by farmers themselves, being 3% cheaper than non-organic foods distributed through traditional channels.
This type of organic market is a new approach to meet the demands of both responsible producers and consumers. For now there will be only two editions, as by now is being studied its feasibility, thus we hope the market will be attended by many people. The respective dates are January 28 and February 25.
The park Huelin is located a few meters from the seafront Antonio Machado, thus can be combined perfectly the green market and a walk by the sea and perhaps some fried fish tapas to rebuild strength … a good plan, the author´s in on that!
How to get there: By car from the western Costa del Sol just follow the motorway, following signs to go to Malaga airport, taking the exit to the national road MA-21. We pass by the airport and we stay on this road which leads directly to the heart of Malaga to Heroes de Sostoa Street. Huelin Park is located between this street and the sea.
By public transport: Maria Zambrano train station with suburban rail links and the bus station are located about 15 minutes from Huelin Park.
If the news has aroused your interest, below you find the current circuit of organic markets in the province of Malaga.
Hopefully, their number will increase, also in coastal towns, although any of the municipalities listed below is a good alternative to combine the market with a visit to the village and surrounding area.
Ecological markets in the province of Málaga:
- Algarrobo Costa: First and third Saturday of each month in the parking lots next to Lidl supermarket.
- Cartama: First Sunday of each month at Estacion de Cartama.
- Alhaurin el Grande: Second Saturday of each month in Calle Real.
- Coin: Third Saturday of each month at the Plaza de la Villa.
- Pizarra: Last Sunday of each month at the Plaza de la Cultura.
- Malaga: Last Saturday of each month at the Parque de Huelin, a few meters from the sea.
- Marbella: First Saturday of each month at the Parque de la Alameda, near the waterfront and Old Town.
- Ronda: Second and fourth Saturday of each month in San Rafael Park.
All markets are held from 10 am to 2 pm.