Alora has organized as every year the Day of Perotas Soups (a soup typical of the municipality). An event that attracts thousands of visitors every year during the first weekend in October. It is one of the most important days in the culinary and cultural calendar of the province of Malaga.
In 2019 the Perotas Soups Day is on Saturday 5 October.
Each year are handed out more than 7,000 free portions of the city’s most typical dish accompanied by Alora Manzanilla olives. Throughout the day, you can enjoy a market with over 50 exhibitors from delicacies and traditional local crafts.
If you want to attend you only need a spoon. The village of Alora invites to the “sopa perota”.
What is the Perotas Soup?
Perota soup, is basically a mix of fried vegetables. Its ingredients include chips and crumbled bread with fresh vegetables and seasonal fruits from the Guadalhorce valley.
Celiacs also have the opportunity to enjoy the product as there will be as well gluten-free Soups Perota.
What to do in Alora this day?
Along with the gastronomic festival, you can enjoy the cultural heritage of the municipality, the archaeological museum or the market of handcrafted products.
To taste the “Sopa Perota”, you will have to go the Plaza Baja de La Despedia. This square is the area with more flavour and bustle of the town of Alora.
The day comes with a wide range of leisure and cultural activities: performances of Verdiales, Flamenco, children’s activities and workshops.
The program during this day is carried out in different areas of the municipality:
Plaza Fuente de Arriba (Map)
In order to participate in the tastings it will be necessary to register at the information stand, which will be available from 11.30 a.m. to 2.00 p.m.
- 12.00 – Start of guided tastings.
- 12.30 pm – Aloreña Olives.
- 1.30 pm – Wine tasting.
- 2.00 pm – Andalusian artisan cheeses
- 3.00 pm – Wine tasting.
- 12.00 – Opening of the Aljibe
- 12.30 pm – Showcooking.
- 2.30 pm – Tasting of dishes prepared during the show.
Plaza Baja de la Despedía (Map)
- 12.00 – Opening of the gastronomic and craft market
- 12.00 – Workshops for children throughout the day.
- 12.30 – Parade of Panda of Verdiales.
- 13.30 – Flamenco Dance.
- 14.00 – Perotas Soups tasting.
- 14.30 – Performance by Saray Vargas.
- 15.30 – Performance by Javier Ojeda.
- 16.00 – Guided tour.
There will also be concerts in some bars.
How to get there and route of Perotas Soups
There is a free bus that connects the Canca car park with the city centre from 10.30am to 6.30pm.
You can use the suburban train from Malaga for getting to Alora, It is the line C-2.
Another convenient way to get to Alora is by private transport. My recommendation would be Malagatransfer.co.uk; a Spanish company that I have used on different occasions and in which I have confidence for transfers within the province. You can choose the time and place where you want to be picked up and taken back; of course they speak perfect English.
Check in the map below where is Álora:
Latest posts by Raúl G.T (see all)
- Tivoli World: Amusement Park in Benalmádena with live shows - November 13, 2019
- Christmas in Malaga: Experience the lights, markets and New Year’s Eve - November 8, 2019
- Halloween in Malaga, terror takes over the city - October 29, 2019