This year, Carnival in Malaga begins on January 12 and runs until February 10. In Malaga, the so-called Winter Feast, Carnival – this appointment between Christmas and Easter – every year is gaining more followers. Anyone who has been around the Costa del Sol during Halloween knows that people here like to dress up and have fun on the streets, singing and dancing.
Perhaps this is also one of the hallmarks of the carnival celebrated in the South: The so-called Chirigotas, costumed groups in unison, caricaturing politicians or current issues in song. Precisely this jovial and cheeky character which gave way to criticism and free expression of what people thought about their leaders was the cause of the prohibition of Carnival in different times and was finally recovered in Malaga in 1978 after the death of Franco.
Typically, in Malaga before the carnival itself, there is a “preliminary Carnival” which takes place in the various neighbourhoods of Malaga as popular gastronomic events and tastings.
On Saturday, February 2nd, carnival will start officially, taking the streets of Malaga, with a Grand Gala in the Plaza de la Constitution. On Saturday February 9, there is an initiative of costumes in the bars and clubs of Malaga. On Sunday February 3, in the morning the children are the stars, with many activities in the Plaza de la Constitution.
Carnival in the Streets, program
- January 12 and 13, Gastronomy Festivals in neighbourhoods across the capital
- January 19 and 20, Gastronomy Festivals in neighbourhoods across the capital
- January 26 and 27, Gastronomy Festivals in neighbourhoods across the capital
- Sunday, February 3, 12 midday, activities for children, Plaza de la Constitucion
- Sunday February 3, 5 pm, Grand Parade through the historic centre to the Plaza de la Merced where are acting singing groups
- Friday February 8, 8.30 pm, singing groups in the Plaza de la Constitucion
- Saturday, February 9, 9.30 pm Competition Drag Queen, Plaza de la Constitucion
- Saturday, February 9, 11:30 pm “Get disguised” costume party at bars and nightclubs
- Sunday February 10, 12 pm to 1 pm, Gran boqueroná in the Historic Centre and Parade “
- Entierro del Boquerón” (Burial of the Anchovy, with which ends officially the carnival season) to La Malagueta.
You already know which costume you are going to wear?
Latest posts by Raúl G.T (see all)
- Nobu Hotel Marbella and restaurant by Robert de Niro & Nobu - June 21, 2017
- PokerStars Festival in Casino Marbella - June 19, 2017
- Midsummer’s Eve: St. John’s bonfires night in Malaga - June 16, 2017